The 852-7080-E Gourmet Charcoal Smoker is Brinkmann’s best double grill charcoal water smoker so far. It comes along with two chrome-plated steel cooking grills that offer a combined 50-pound cooking capacity. It’s also designed for quick and easy access with both its smoker body and barbecue grill lifted off the base. Other specifications include a front hinged-door for easy access to water and charcoal pans, a wooden handle that’s cool to touch all throughout, and a heavy-duty vinyl cover.
- Two chrome-plated steel cooking grills
- Can handle up to 50 pounds of food
- Wooden handles that remain cool all throughout for easy and safe transport of the unit
- One-year limited warranty from Brinkmann
Detailed Review of the Brinkmann 852-7080-E Gourmet Charcoal Smoker
Design and Durability (3.5/5.0)
Easily noticeable are the light and thin materials of this charcoal smoker. The construction-metal is thin and the lid is a bit loose. I haven’t tried using this on a cold weather, but I’m expecting temperature control to be quite challenging during long smokes, just like what I’ve experienced from other thin smokers. The heating element that comes along with this unit is also not adjustable, so one has to be extra patient when it comes to regulating the temperature. Meanwhile, I’m impressed that it can either be used as an electric or charcoal smoker.
Ease of Use (4.0/5.0)
I’m glad that the Brinkmann 852-7080-E Gourmet Charcoal Smoker is fairly easy to use and assemble. Thanks to its easy way of regulating temperature. Users can add water and wood chips to it and barely do anything as it maintains the ideal temperature of 220 degrees Fahrenheit quite well. Since temperature is not adjustable, one still has to be very careful and patient in terms of managing smoke. If you feel like temperature is way higher than what you really need, you can simply add cold water into the water basin to drop the temperature of the unit. It’s an extra procedure to perform, but it’s relatively easy. Although this smoker works best for novice smokers, it’s still necessary to check the user manual for more information.
Efficiency (4.5 /5.0)
I’m impressed by the amount of smoke this charcoal smoker produces. Once it reaches your desired temperature, it’s going to be easy from there. It does a good job of maintaining temperature with the help of the water basin which needs to be frequently refilled just under your food. So far, I’m glad with the quality of food it produces. The meat is moist, tender, and delicious.
- Can be used both as an electric and charcoal smoker
- Easy to use, assemble, and clean up
- Produces a lot of smoke
- Consistent in terms of maintaining the desired temperature
- A good smoker for novice users to start with
- Satisfactory in terms of producing quality, smoked food
- Not solidly built and sturdy
- Thin-metal construction can make temperature management a bit challenging
The Brinkmann 852-7080-E Gourmet Charcoal Smoker and Grill with Vinyl Cover is a recommended unit for all entry-level smokers. It’s a great way to learn how to smoke as it’s inexpensive and easy to manage when it comes to temperature control.
Latest posts by Anna Sutherling (see all)
- Emson Electric 5Qt Indoor Pressure Smoker Review - June 25, 2015
- Brinkmann 852-7080-E Gourmet Charcoal Smoker and Grill Review - June 22, 2015
- Smokin Tex 1100 Pro Series Electric Barbecue Smoker Review - April 30, 2015