The Char-Griller 16620 Akorn Kamado Kooker Charcoal Barbecue Grill and Smoker is primarily designed for the Kamado style of cooking food. The cooking style is based from cooking methods in the past that make use of large clay ovens for insulation. Char-Griller for its part makes use of cutting-edge technology to develop more durable, convenient, lightweight, and affordable ceramics than the traditional ceramic Kamados. Moreover, this grill-and-smoker-in-one can cook various foods like burgers, fish and pizza.
- A wide cooking space of 306-square-inches
- Warming rack that is up to 165-square-inches in total space
- Insulated design prevents unnecessary loss of heat
- Cooking surface that is made of cast iron and a 22-gauge-steel body construction
- Exterior made of powder-coated steel and an interior made of porcelain-coated steel
Detailed Description of the Char-Griller 16620 Akorn Kamado Kooker Charcoal Barbecue Grill and Smoker
Design and Durability (4.5/5.0)
Straight from the box, I should say that the fit and finish of this unit are very good and well-designed. It comes along with a sturdy box which efficiently protects the grill/smoker from damage. It also features a lid that has an oven-like seal with a positive flip latch. Since it is well-insulated, it also remains cool during the entire cooking session. Meanwhile, the dust catcher of this unit prevents the pan from falling off the ground. There is likewise a removable center in the cooking grate, made of cast iron, that allows the addition of charcoal during the cooking session.
Ease of Use (4.5/5.0)
The unit is easy to assemble and all its parts amazingly fit well. I think it just took about 40 minutes for me to finish setting it up for first use. One of the techniques I’ve learned about this smoker is heat control. I recommend gradually increasing the temperature, because it is quite difficult to reduce it once it has reached high temperature. Moreover, the innovative design of the ash catcher makes it very easy to clean up.
This smoker does a good job of holding temperature very well compared to other charcoal grills. Since it easily regulates temperature, the food it produces is moist and tender. It may take a few trial-and-errors at first, but it gets easier each time.
- Very functional, works as a grill-and-a-smoker in-one
- Sturdy build and construction
- All parts fit tightly
- Well-sealed, features good controls
- Capable of producing moist and tender food
- May take a couple of trial-and-errors to perfect its usage
- Quite expensive
This Char-Griller 16620 Akorn Kamado Kooker Charcoal Barbecue Grill and Smoker is priced at more than $400 which is a bit pricy. It is made of sturdy and durable materials, so I expect it to last longer. I highly recommend this unit to those who have a lot of experience grilling or smoking barbecue.
Latest posts by Robert (see all)
- Masterbuilt 20070213 30-Inch Electric Digital Smoker Review - September 23, 2015
- Nordic Ware 365 Indoor/Outdoor Kettle Smoker Review - June 25, 2015
- Weber 721001 Smokey Mountain Charcoal Smoker Review - June 17, 2015